Realistic Pencil Drawing Techniques Tutorial

This drawing tutorial will show you some of the graphite and charcoal drawing pencils I use to render and shade my extremely realistic pencil drawings. I am the artist that produced "The Man Behind the Paper" and other realistic drawings that so many people are attempting to reproduce on the internet. Now I'm producing a series of videos that will show exactly how I create my amazing drawing illusions and portraits. This first video will show the amazing pencils I use that produce very dark shading with no grahite shine.

Most pencil artists begin with using just graphite. But graphite, by it's very nature is incapable of producing extremely dark shading and when you try, it becomes 
very reflective. Graphite pencil's limited value range, combined with this distracting reflectiveness can kill the realism you are trying to achieve. If you are attempting to put in extremely dark values, you are probably trying to represent an absence of light. The last thing you would want to do is have graphite shining in those areas that can look as bright as some of the highlights.


Tutorial by JD Hillberry

Popular Posts

Popular Posts